Perhaps in no other area are we more tempted to keep unused things than with clothes. Listen, let’s quit dreaming. Give it to the Salvation Army. Let them find the perfect person. —SANDRA FELTON
Are your closet shelves messy and disorganized? Would you like to open your closet doors and see nice, neat and orderly shelves?
This article will help.
4 Tips for Organized Closet Shelves
- Clear the Shelves — Take everything off your closet shelves and put back only what you like and use. Shelves often contain sweaters, purses, hats, shoeboxes, bags, and T-shirts that were once daily regulars in your life. But over time these belongings turn into “stationary” clutter that doesn’t know when to leave.
- Ask Tough Questions — Now is the time to make those hard decisions and let some things go. Ask yourself, “Is this item part of my past or my future?” If it’s sentimental, take a picture and let it go! This is your everyday closet. Save the memory in a picture, not on your shelf.
- Refold and Reorganize — Refold sweaters so the smooth, rounded edge I call “the decorative edge” is facing you. This provides a neat, clean look like fine retailers and makes each sweater easy to slide out.
- Give Structure to Your Shelves — Hook shelf dividers on a shelf to keep one stack of clothes from falling over. Or space shoeboxes between stacks of clothes and purses to hold items in place. You can also use clear boxes to see what is neatly placed inside, or label closed boxes so you don’t have to see the contents daily but you still know what’s inside.
So, are you ready to tackle those shelves? Take a before and after photo so you can reflect on the work you have done and celebrate the change.
Bedroom Closet Checklist
❍ 1. Are clothes hung by sections and outfits I like to wear?
❍ 2. Do all my hangers match?
❍ 3. Is my closet floor relatively empty and clutter free?
❍ 4. Are my shoes organized and ready to wear at a moment’s notice?
❍ 5. Is there a full-length mirror nearby I use daily?
❍ 6. Is the smooth “decorative edge” facing forward on all folded items?
❍ 7. Does each drawer have clothes and accessories organized by category?
❍ 8. Is my jewelry stored neatly in dividers and ready for me to dress quickly?
❍ 9. Do I regularly give clothes away to benefit others?
❍ 10. Is it easy to get dressed each day?
This article was taken from Marcia’s bestselling book Simplify Your Space — Create Order & Reduce Stress.
Are you ready to “Organize Your Closet Like a Pro!”?
Lose the Clutter & Love Your Closet
My new class starts October 17 and will help you do just that!
This class will show you exactly how to organize your closet for speed and efficiency to find what you need, take the guesswork out of what to wear, and walk out the door each day looking your best. Our Class Motto: Dress Your Best & Let Go of the Rest!
This Class is for you if . . .
- you have a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear.
- you have trouble deciding what to wear each day
- you wish you had more outfits
- your closet is stuffed and it takes longer than you’d like to pull an outfit together